Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Kona 2010 – Did that just happen?

The best week of my life! Really.

Yep, it has taken me until after being home from the trip (for over 24 hours, no less) to finally post about it. It was so good I didn't have the time or energy to blog!

I got into Kona last Tuesday on an early flight. Tawnee arrived just a couple of hours after me. The arrival timing was perfect because we still had a few pre-race days to go out and play before household lockdown occurred. It can be tough staying with people who are racing, but I would say it's even tougher for the people who are racing to stay with eachother. Without stories, let's just say that tension was high in the condo… easy-going Maggs vs. high-strung Laura was u-g-l-y.

Maggs got us a 2 bedroom condo at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort. The place was PERFECT! Big enough to comfortably house up to 6 of us, free beach cruisers to use, two pools, a gym and only a mile and a half from town - close enough to walk into if you wanted to go, but far enough to be closed off from the hustle & bustle of Ironman.

condo livin Evening before the race

And a cute boy would visit every so often.

kitty

photo




Pretty obvious that he’s not one of your *typical* Hawaii ferals. Adopted by the resort, I’m sure.




Race day was quite the event. Despite having been in Kona for the Ironman WC before, this year was quite different. I was chasing several friends throughout the day instead of just one and that brings on a whole new challenge.

Needless to say, race day deserves it’s own post.

So does the K-Swiss after party

And my birthday Winking smile

dinnercruisin


Tawnee was pretty stoked on all the shitty pictures she took of me. Pretty amazing that I still love her so much.

9 comments:

Tawnee Prazak said...

1. Nice blog title... very original, not! Ha ha.
2. Way to be bold on calling out the high tension in the house; however, you failed to mention that you & I had no tension/issues what so ever and just let the little things go :)
3. Is that the only cut boy pic/story you have to share of those who stopped by? ;-)
4. You love my pics and you know it. I wish I had gotten more of your cute face.

Looking forward to the rest or your blogs to come...

Jill Costantino said...

She is right - you are so cute! I love the pic of you on the bike:) I am SO envious of your Kona adventures and can't wait for the future blogs!
P.S. You did a great job on the FB updates during the race! Happy Birthday (again)

Beth said...

Pictures of D!! Very rare occurance. :) Love the Diet Coke in your dinner picture. That's my girl! :) Can't wait for the rest of the report. And thanks again for being out there all day long cheering everyone on. That is one long, hot day! :)

Marit C-L said...

Diet coke? Check.
Beach cruiser? Check.
No cankles (on you)? Check.
= Successful Hawaiian Adventure!
Looks like a GREAT time out there - and you're totally right... Spectating would make me love the island. :) Your updates during the race were super - so there you go. Nice work, my friend. Oh - as for the beach cruisers at your resort.... Nate and I are very familiar with those cruisers...our best day in Kona revolved around borrowing them and biking from one beach to another, snorkeling, and then into town for some great food.
Oh - before I forget... Hope that you had CAKE on your birthday! xoxo Happy Birthday D!

SSB said...

I still can't believe you brought that cat home. You and Tawnee...sheesh...

kerrie said...

thank god that those are the only pictures you posted. i was worried there might be more ;)

Kim said...

glad you had fun! More pics definitely!!

Charisa said...

Oh wow, you have a blog again. I have been out of it I guess. Glad you had such a very fun birthday in Kona!

Heidi Austin said...

happy belated bday d! what a fun week! so jealous... can't wait to hear more stories and see more pics :)