Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

A little Kona 2010 interruption

The K-Swiss Afterparty post (which is probably overhyped by now) & birthday post are coming, but I needed to interrupt the Kona 2010 fun with some other awesome stuff!

Yesterday was the District Championships (qualifier for the the Provincial Championships) for the highschool XC team. While expectations for a couple of our runners was high, our expectations for the teams was fairly low - we didn't think the boys team would qualify & hoped our girls team would come top 3.

Our 12th grade boy came in 2nd by just a few seconds, which was a great result for him! He had beat the guy who won in a previous race, but the winner has much more experience and likely just outsmarted him out there. Our 11th grade girl was also 2nd by just a few seconds. Unfortunately, not such a great result for her. She had beat the girl that won in every race leading up to Districts. We talked after and she admitted that she just ran a poor tactical race. That and she didn't leave it all out on the course. Fortunately she has another year to come back and make good on the course and, really, the important race is next Saturday!

As for our teams... THEY BOTH WON! And won handily. Unlike last year, the kids showed up to the race ready to kick some ass! That means that we are sending 14 kids to Provincials. Part of me is SO stoked for them and totally psyched that they get the opportunity. The other part of me really doesn't want to truck 14 kids around on a bus, a ferry, a bus, babysit at the race site all day, then back on the bus, ferry, and bus. Good thing I've got a little bit of back-up with my top guy from last year - love when grads come back to help!

On another note, Bree is doing some amazing stuff for a village down South on the Big Island. I know most of you read her blog already, but wanted to direct your attention over there if you don't (or haven't read it in a while). There are two posts to have a read through: this one and this one. Can you help?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Excited for the kids - that's awesome.. a worthy Kona interrupt there! I need to direct people to Bree's blog too.. way cool what she is doing. I was hoping to send shoes.. I wonder if I can send them to the PO box she gave? Any thoughts D?? KimS

Steve said...

A couple things. One, no I didn't read her blog, but thanks for pointing me to it. Damn USA!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

We will do what we can. I will show my wife, and we'll see what we can do.

Second thing is I was getting in a bad mood, and this makes me feel better.

Thanks again. :)

Beth said...

Woop, woop!! Congrats on the great XC results!! :)

Mike Russell said...

I think i have had my head up my butt or something but i just stumbled on your blog. Love the writing style ma'am,

Teresa said...

LOVE when people win when it counts (amazing coach!)!! So happy!!!

tn